Now I return to this young fellow. And the communication I have got to make is, that he has great expectations! Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
Welcome to YOUR blog!
Dear students,
Welcome to your English blog! I have already posted some stuff that I found interesting for our class but now it's your turn! Don't be shy and post things you would like to share with the rest of the class. Songs, articles, videos, news, links... that help the class learn English. Anything as long as it is respectful and of course... in English!
Welcome to your English blog! I have already posted some stuff that I found interesting for our class but now it's your turn! Don't be shy and post things you would like to share with the rest of the class. Songs, articles, videos, news, links... that help the class learn English. Anything as long as it is respectful and of course... in English!
Saturday, April 7, 2012
The Nonexistent Knight
The Nonexistent Knight is an allegorical fantasy novel by Italo Calvino, first published in Italian 1959 and in English translation in 1962.
This story takes place in France, during the time of Charlemagne. Among the emperor’s army there is a knight who does not exist. That’s right – Agiluf, the best warrior in Charlemagne’s army, is nothing but an empty white suit of armour filled with a very strong will.
The Nonexistent Knight follows his adventures and misadventures through medieval France, Scotland, England and Morocco. Along the way he meets the Knights of the Holy Grail, a determined female warrior, a loony squire, and a young man seeking to avenge his father’s death, among others.
This tale is narrated by a nun whose connection with the events in question is only revealed in the very last chapter. While telling the story, she shares with the reader her musings on writing and on her secluded life.
The Nonexistent Knight is full of absurd moments that almost read like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A fun, engaging and fast read.
I liked precisely because the three previous reasons.
All three of Italo Calvino’s historical fantasies are books I very much recommend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.